Sunday 9 November 2014

Deciding on a Career - PhD or not to PhD?

Sometime in the life of a student fascinated about science, a question will come: go for a PhD or not? You may think the time for such decision has come for me, but in fact, it hasn't: I'm still half way in my Master's, so why am I making a post about this?

Truth is, I have given this question some thinking, but only now that other people ask me what I'll do it's become more serious. Partly because the outcome of my Master's thesis will influence my choice of  "if", "where" and "with who" I will do a PhD.

Some readers probably know I am a bit (a big bit) of a petrolhead. I like cars, but more importantly, I love to learn - hence my passion for restoration and modification. That's something I still have not had time to put into. Mostly because I'm not a very time-organized person. But it's definitely something important for me.

On the other hand, I am passionate about neuroscience. Sometimes the difficulties in a project make me wonder if I should be studying this, but fortunately I've had a recent conversation with a colleague. That conversation was a life changer. Right now I truly believe I will go for a PhD. And that's the result of never getting enough of science. I thing both my passions (cars and neuroscience, with everything attached to those two) are two sides of the same coin: looking to know how thing work.

The ideal situation for me would be to do both simultaneously: restomodding a Datsun as a hobby while doing the PhD. However... The ideal country for each of them is not the same. I hope I can find balance in the future.

I am thinking too much ahead. But thinking sometimes is good. I am grateful someone made me think and realise what I want. For now, I am happy with finding what I want!

No comments:

Post a Comment